Lockheed Martin Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer in Littleton, Colorado
Military Support Programs is seeking a Guidance, Navigation and Control (GN&C) engineer to oversee the Attitude Control (AC) and Gimbal Pointing Control (GPC) subsystems through Production, Final Acceptance and Operations. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to take ownership of the GPC subsystem as the Certified Principle Engineer (CPE) and will serve as a CPE delegate for the AC subsystem. This is a key role that brings together all aspects of the design, requirements, and analysis to ensure the hardware and algorithms work in perfect harmony and to meet the customer's needs. The CPE will be supported by a high-energy team of GN&C engineers and will be presented with many challenges along the way as they turn the design into reality. Ideal candidates will have extensive knowledge and experience working with these subsystems or similar GN&C subsystems, and will need to work closely with all aspects of MSP including program leadership, systems engineering, all other bus subsystems, systems integration and test, component suppliers and the contracts management team. This will include opportunities to present to senior leadership and customers on challenging issues so excellent presentation and communication skills will be a must. Ideal candidates will have already demonstrated successful engineering leadership over a subsystem, or have extensive time as the delegate CPE for a subsystem. They should have in-depth knowledge of GN&C sensors, actuators and algorithms. The GPC subsystem in particular blends many aspects of mechanical, electrical, control and sensing disciplines and will require excellent communication and coordination across multiple component CPEs. The ideal candidate should also have a strong understanding of how the subsystem components and the GN&C subsystem as a whole impact, and are impacted by, other bus systems and payloads. They will be expected to shepherd the subsystems from the design phase through final acceptance and will be responsible for ensuring the hardware meets all requirements and is adequately tested to verify performance and workmanship. They will be required to support systems during Integration and Test (I&T) and to some extent after they are Operational. This support will include trending performance, performing root cause investigations and anomaly resolution. Ideal candidates should have an even-tempered personality and be able to thrive in challenging, stressful situations where critical decisions must be made, often with minimal information available. The use of Model-Based Systems Design (MBSD) tools is extensive on MSP and the candidate should ideally be familiar with these or similar tools, including MATLAB/Simulink, DOORS and Automation Framework. MATLAB and Simulink are the primary tools of the GN&C team and the candidates should have demonstrated experience using these in particular. Basic knowledge of the LM CoreSim development environment is also highly beneficial. The subsystem CPE position is a challenging, but highly rewarding one, allowing the CPE to bring a complex and critical subsystem to life. They will interact closely with the other subsystems and with program leadership to ensure all aspects of the design come together, and to solve the challenges presented during both production and operations. While ultimately responsible for the subsystem, they are not alone, and will be actively supported by a strong GN&C team and leadership that live out the Lockheed Martin values to Do What's Right, Respect Others and Perform with Excellence. Their work will be essential in delivering a critical asset that helps protect our country and people around the world for years to come.
Basic Qualifications 1) Bachelors degree from an ABET accredited college in Aerospace Engineering or a related discipline, with 14 years of professional experience; or 12 years of professional experience with a related Masters degree
2) Previous CPE or CPE delegate role
3) Demonstrated expertise with the entire GN&C product lifecycle, including early formulation, requirement development, design, fabrication, system assembly, test, verification, launch and in-flight operations
4) Functional understanding of GN&C sensors, actuators, and algorithms and their application
5) Knowledge of related subsystems including Power, Thermal, Comms, and Data Handling and Communication
Desired skills 1) Proficient in GN&C design and analysis principles and methods
2) Experience with motor/actuator design and control
3) Demonstrated experience with the full design life-cycle, including requirements decomposition, architecture design, component specification, integration, test, verification and certification
4) Strong communication skills including the ability to speak, write, and especially listen, in a manner that clarifies issues, promotes closure, delivers information in a clear and concise manner, and facilitates decision making
5) Ability to present complex topics to both senior leadership and technical subject matter experts
6) Ability to guide mixed discipline teams to identify the best holistic solution
7) Strong organizational skills including performing long-term planning, delegating, meeting goals and managing priorities
8) Can make sound, correct, technical judgments with very little, or uncertain inputs
9) Demonstrated expertise with root cause investigation and anomaly resolution, during both production and operational phases
10) Proficient with MATLAB/Simulink
11) Experience developing, analyzing and verifying GN&C subsystems, sensor models and integrated simulation tools
12) Experience with Monte Carlo and statistical analysis techniques
13) Familiarity with Agile design concepts and the Scrum development process
14) Knowledge of a high level programming language such as C/C++ or Java, as well as UNIX/Linux
15) Active TS/SCI with poly clearance
As a leading technology innovation company, Lockheed Martin’s vast team works with partners around the world to bring proven performance to our customers’ toughest challenges. Lockheed Martin has employees based in many states throughout the U.S., and Internationally, with business locations in many nations and territories.
Join us at Lockheed Martin, where we’re engineering a better tomorrow.
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Location(s): Littleton Colorado